Creating successful e-learning content has everything to do with the kind of experience you are offering the user or learner. Why is it important? Because, if you were a user, would you want to read something which is hard to access, dull, or not what you were looking for? Surely not, right? If your e-learning content is just a set of instructional slides, it can be extremely mundane. That is why, it’s crucial to understand how to improve user experience while creating digital content.
- Have your reader in mind at every step while developing the content. Make sure the experience is fun, engaging and simple.
- Write down the content first and then brainstorm about how it can be presented interestingly. Decide on a way that drives the major learning points home.
- Don’t let the user face technological difficulties when it comes to navigating or finding the content. If he or she has to spend most of the time figuring out where to click, then the lesson will lose its appeal soon.
- Building trust and creating an emotional bond with the reader is important. So take into account things like what might be your user’s thoughts, what might be his feelings, or what he might be expecting from your content.
- Assess your modules and designs to check if they are valuable, believable, useful, easy to find and desirable. A good user experience is a medley of all this.
- Keep an open mind and find out what your competitors are doing to enhance user experience. This will give you an idea about the current trend and how you can stay ahead.
You might be interested to know that companies like Magic Software efficiently address the three different aspects of user experience design to help publishers. They look into the following areas before arriving at the media development phase.
- User analysis – Competitive analysis, user research and personas and scenarios
- Interaction design – Design thinking, information architecture, prototyping
- Visual design – Interface design, design guidelines and specifications
This holistic design approach ensures that your users have a great time going through your content. Once the user experience design of content
is in place, your content can easily make use of games, apps, videos or simulations to convey the message it is meant to. So focus on what your user needs and requires, and provide e-learning materials which are sure to be a hit!