From Ink to Pixels – Discover the Intricacies of Transitioning to Digital Publishing
Brief description of the episode
The transition from print to digital education is a significant shift, with AI being just the latest manifestation of traditional educational publishers and ed tech companies. Christine Emerton, Vice President at Ascend Learning, shares her journey from print to digital education. According to her, the present time provides incredible opportunities for organizations to serve educators, learners, and professionals in a rapidly changing technology landscape, leveraging AI and machine learning to support learners and professionals.
- Recognizing that the pandemic served as a catalyst for moving faster and finding better ways to help learners access content and resources. Explore new learning modalities, including simulation, to enhance the learning experience.
- Acknowledge the efforts of the public safety group team in developing and providing free resources to support frontline learners during the height of the pandemic. These resources aimed to ensure continuous training and support while addressing the challenges posed by the pandemic.
- The pandemic served as a motivator to innovate and explore novel approaches to provide effective learning resources.
- Recognize the various drivers behind the digital transformation journey, including challenges in producing physical products, changes in learner habits and expectations, and the influence of social media and online content.
- Acknowledge the need to shift focus from textbook-centric content development to developing and enhancing content separately from its format. Aim to develop content that can be consumed in various formats to meet the needs of modern learners.
- Recognize the need to transition from workflows anchored in the textbook to content development that is multi-channel and multi-format from the start. Modernize systems for building and tracking content products to accommodate the shift toward digital offerings.
- Share insights and collaborate across different teams within the organization to facilitate learning and scaling in the digital realm
- Aim to deliver learning solutions that improve student outcomes, captivate and motivate learners, and make the pathway to success clear and enjoyable.
- Build an ecosystem that comprises proprietary platforms with key capabilities, supplemented by partnerships with external providers. Determine what can be tackled internally and where external expertise can enhance the foundation.
- Engage and motivate internal teams by highlighting the benefits of digital transformation. Support educators through the process by providing guidance and improved resources.
- Recognize the interconnection between the development of DEI-informed content and adherence to accessibility standards. Acknowledge that both initiatives should be pursued simultaneously, as they share common goals.
- Begin by defining what needs to be achieved with DEI-informed content and accessibility compliance. Set a definitive stake in the ground, outlining the desired outcomes and objectives.
- Embrace the idea of making incremental improvements that are meaningful to customers. Rather than attempting to accomplish everything overnight, focus on continuous progress by identifying and implementing tangible steps forward.
- Understand that achieving a robust DEI stance and ensuring accessibility compliance is an ongoing commitment. Emphasize the need for long-term dedication to both initiatives, as they require sustained effort and constant evaluation to foster meaningful change.
Subscribe to receive the latest episode in your inbox.