Why is video-based learning important during this pandemic?
- 21 September, 2021
- Reading Time: 10 min
The tables have turned, and schools are shut around the world since the Covid-19 pandemic began. E-learning has gained momentum where digital learning videos are indispensable. Video-based learning is making concepts more interesting and accessible.
It has decreased the distance between schools and homes.
What is video-based learning?
It is a form of learning which fosters knowledge and skills via videos. It is no longer an option but a need. Kids, teens, and adults prefer videos over reading. They make the concept more vibrant and engaging.
Why use video-based learning?
- Builds background knowledge
- Offers enriched text excerpts
- Enhances learning
Why is video-based learning effective?
- Videos use both auditory and visual cues. The visuals remain the main source of information, and the audio elaborates them.
- Shorter and smaller videos are more suitable. This is called micro-learning. The learning happens in small bites, in short bursts of content, providing specific information.
- Thoughtfully designed videos ensure continuity, consistency, thus conveying a coherent message. This helps learners in retaining better.
- Videos enable pull-based on-the-go learning. These videos can be watched anywhere, offline or online, and on any device, desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone.
- Closed captioning helps in transcription, which helps in the application of the concepts in a better way.
- Proficiency is increased via digital literacy and communication, which are important skills.
What should we, the content designers, keep in mind while using videos?
- Be clear about the purpose.
- Focus on dynamic, engaging, and informative content. It’s not only about beauty but information too.
- Engage learners.
- Ensure that you engage them by asking questions and other inputs.
- Pause to reflect, discuss and write.
- Pause the video in between to make sure that learners are reflecting upon the concepts. Stirring discussions and making them write is another way for them to reflect.
- Introduce a flow between concepts and topics to make learning more cohesive.
What makes video-based learning trendy and relevant?
The answer is simple. It is shorter, crispier, and engaging. It is continuously changing the way of learning.